Havens Farmers' Market
Support the programs and activities of the Shelter Island Historical Society
The Society is pleased to offer the Havens' Market as a community service/event for the Island. Admission is free. Donations to the Society to support our programs and operations are always appreciated. Come support local farmers and craftspeople by shopping their selections of local produce, fish, flowers, herbs, breads, pies, pickles, cheese, chocolates, oils, soaps and so much more. Rain or Shine.
TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS YEAR'S MARKET, PLEASE PURCHASE YOUR BOOTH ON THE RIGHT, AND CLICK THE LINK BELOW TO FILL OUT YOUR APPLICATION FORM.
PLEASE NOTE THAT INSURANCE CERTIFICATES ALSO NEED TO BE PROVIDED.
2024 HAVENS FARMERS MARKET
APPLICATION GUIDELINES & POLICIES
Application and Fee Procedure:
- Please fill out the vendor application form above.
- Purchase booth on the right or make checks payable to Shelter Island Historical Society.
- Attach a copy of applicant’s Vendor Liability Insurance certificate that lists both the Shelter Island Historical Society and Havens Farmers Market as additionally insured.
- Send completed application, insurance certificate, and check by March 1, 2024 to: Shelter Island Historical Society, P.O. Box 847, Shelter Island, NY 11964. Or purchase and fill out the forms online.
- NEW THIS YEAR Submit your paid complete application by March 1, 2024 and save. Preference will be given to vendors that will enhance the variety of the Market. Applications that arrive after March 1 will be given consideration, if space allows. Full refunds will be given to any applications that are not accepted. Space at the Market and the items a vendor offers will be factors in determining approval.
Required Permits, Licenses, and Insurance:
- All permits and licenses required by the Town of Shelter Island, Suffolk County, State of New York, and the Federal Government are the sole responsibility of the vendors.
- The Shelter Island Historical Society and the Havens Farmers Market are not liable for any injury, theft, or damage to either the buyer or seller, or their property, arising out of or pertaining to preparation for or participation in the Havens Farmers Market; whether such injury, theft, or damage occurred prior, during, or after the Market. Seller further agrees to indemnify and hold the Shelter Island Historical Society or the Havens Farmers Market harmless for and against any claims for such injury, theft, or damage. All vendors must carry their own general liability and product liability, as the Shelter Island Historical Society or the Havens Farmers Market does not provide this coverage.
Havens Farmers Market Policies:
Products must receive clearance from the Market Manager before sale. 60% of your product offering must be designed, created or grown locally by vendor. Products purchased for resale at the market must not consist of more than 40% of vendor’s items and must be approved by Market Managers. Vendors may not sell any item not approved or not shown in their vendor application. Market staff has the right to ask vendor to remove products. All items must be prepared, displayed, and stored in accordance with NY Department of Agriculture and local health codes and guidelines. All producers of processed items (cheese, meats, jams, jellies, syrups, baked goods, etc.) are required to adhere to all state and local laws pertaining to the production and selling of such goods. Processed food items should be sold with a valid processing license or comply with New York labeling law requirements. Produce sold as organic must have originated from an organic grown certified farm. Farmers/growers that are not certified organic can advertise or sell produce as “chemical free” if they practice chemical free farming. Market staff reserves the right to inspect crops and productions areas at any time before or during the market season.
Market vendors agree to attend all scheduled Markets for the 2024 season, barring an emergency. Vendor will give immediate notice via email to Market Manager when he/she is unable to attend a Market. If a Vendor is absent three or more times, the Vendor may be asked to leave and will forfeit the booth fee.
Market vendors agree to remain at the Market in spite of the following possible situations:
- Vendor sells out of merchandise
- Rain (not including severe or dangerous weather/wind). Market Manager has the sole right to determine severe or dangerous weather/wind.
*Failure to abide by these policies could result in vendor being asked not to participate in remaining 2024 markets and vendor will forfeit booth fees.
Sales Tax Collection Policy:
- Any required sales tax collections and remittances are the sole responsibility of the vendors.